Stereo and multi-channel loudness measurement plugin compliant with ITU-R BS.1770, EBU R-128, EBU TechRep. 3341, 3342 and ATSC A/85.
The EBU published its Loudness Recommendation EBU R128. It tells how broadcasters can measure and normalize audio using loudness meters instead of Peak Meters (PPMs) only, as is common practice nowadays. TB_EBULoudness calculates k-weighted momentary loudness (LM), short-term loudness (LS), integrated loudness (LI) and loudness range (LRA) compliant with the EBU and ITU specifications, including EBU R128, ITU-R BS.1770, ATSC A/85, and supports EBU +9, EBU +18, and EBU +27 metering modes. Furthermore, true-peak levels (dBTP) are displayed as well. For more information on EBU loudness, please go here. For more detailed information on loudness measurement, the use of loudness meters in a broadcast chain, and an explanation of the various loudness descriptors, EBU has published this very useful document.
Besides compliance to loudness requirements, TB_EBULoudness is also a very useful tool to align or normalize the perceived loudness of different audio tracks (for example on an album). Differences in loudness (expressed as loudness units, or LU) can be directly translated into attenuation or gain expressed in dB to align the loudness of two or more tracks. Furthermore, the loudness range indicator can provide valuable information to verify the dynamic range of a track, and the potential need for dynamic range compression.
Specifically for this purpose, TB EBULoudness comprises 4 additional modes resulting from an intiative of Roland Löhlbach (Studio Compyfox) in confederation with Bob Katz (Digital Domain). Their approach is to re-introduce the K-system scales in the context of the EBU R128 method for loudness management. In short, these scales use -12, -14, -16 and -20 LUFS as 0 LU reference levels, facilitating easy loudness management for music and podcast productions that typically have higher loudness levels than broadcast content. Extensive details on this subject can be found on the blog page of Studio Compyfox.
- Loudness analysis compliant with ITU-R BS.1770, ATSC A/85, EBU-R128, and EBU Tech report 3341
- Loudness range (LRA) support according EBU Tech report 3342
- EBU mode LUFS, EBU+9, EBU+18 and EBU+27 loudness scales for broadcast production
- K-system v2 scales K-20, K-16, K-14, and K-12 for music and podcast production
- True-peak (dBTP) measurement compliant with ITU-R BS.1770 and EBU-R128
- Support of all sampling rates from 22kHz upwards
- Set of one compact (stereo only) and one full-fledged multi-channel (5.1) plugin
- Ability to sync with play/pause of the DAW host (if supported by host)
- Based on the VST 2.4 specification to allow compatibility with virtually all host programs
Try & buy
Download free trial version bundle
[Parameter saving is disabled]
Order a full-version registration key file
[To upgrade a trial to full version]